Edinboro University seeks nominations for annual humanitarian awards
Edinboro University is accepting nominations for an individual whose contributions to society reflect the spirit, philosophy
Additionally, Edinboro seeks nominations for an individual who strongly believes in equality and social justice – in remembrance of the late Edinboro professor Dr. Joseph Laythe.
Edinboro is once again collecting submissions for the
To be eligible for consideration, all nominations must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11.
Candidate nominations for the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Award (non-student) and/or the Dr. Joseph Laythe Award (current Edinboro University student) must contain a narrative description of the candidate’s achievements and contributions to society with specific examples listed. Nominations will be reviewed using the following criteria:
- How has the nominee challenged systems that were designed to deny access to basic rights and privileges?
- How has the nominee’s life and work emulated the work of Dr. King or Dr. Laythe?
- How has the nominee made a significant impact on society beyond that which may typically be associated with the person’s primary vocation/professional responsibilities?
- How has the nominee made contributions to the community through a history of service and involvement?
- In what ways has the nominee demonstrated a commitment to education?
Any student, faculty, staff or community resident may nominate leaders who exemplify the spirit, philosophy
The Dr. Joseph Laythe Award honors the late Edinboro University professor, a 2014 recipient of the MLK Award, who believed strongly in equality and was wholly committed to social justice. This award will celebrate a student champion who stands up for equality both on campus and in the community.
All MLK and Laythe Award nominations should be submitted to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Awards Committee, c/o Ms. Pertrina Marrero, 237 Frank G. Pogue Student Center, 405 Scotland Road, Edinboro, PA, 16444. Completed nominations can also be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.